How to use your Holiday Effectively for Area of Study
- Review of AOS (Area of Study) skills.
- Checklist of learning material throughout the term.
- Review of past papers and practice exercises.
Today we are going to review the Area of Study skills we practiced over this term. These skills will make up a huge component of your HSC so it is important that you start working on your weak areas now.
We will go through a checklist of everything you should have learned throughout this term, as then look at some past HSC Area of Study papers so you can test yourself now and over the holidays. We will look at the Change and Journey Areas of study as they are the most common choices for Preliminary classes.
Area of Study Checklist 1. Write The Perfect Core Essay
- 3-4 AOS (Area of Study) themes
- Structure given in your essay guide.
- State, Explain, Support format.
Write The Perfect Core Essay with 3-4 Area of Study themes discussed in separate paragraphs. It should closely follow the structure given in your essay guide and use a State, Explain, Support format.
Area of Study Checklist 2. Write at least 2 pages of study notes on other Area of Study themes in your texts
- extra essay paragraphs
- You can insert these paragraphs into your core essay when it is suitable for the question.
Write at least 2 pages of study notes on other Area of study themes in your texts written as extra essay paragraphs, typed and saved on your computer. Sometimes you can just insert one of these paragraphs into your core essay when it is more suitable for the question. This helps you practice preparing good study notes too!
Area of Study Checklist 3. Write an extended list of extra quotes from your set text
- each one linked briefly to a technique.
- At least 1 page of extra quotes for your set text.
Write an extended list of extra quotes from your set text on your computer, with each one linked briefly to a technique. Have at least 1 page of extra quotes for your set text.
Area of Study Checklist 4. Write at least 1 creative story on your computer
- Plans for two other stories
- Plan interesting characters and setting in your story bank.
Write at least 1 creative story on your computer. You should also have plans for two other stories and some interesting characters and settings in your story bank saved to your computer.
Area of Study Checklist 5. Edit your core essay
- More sophisticated and refined work
- Improved by practice and study
Edit your core essay and story using the editing guides you were given this term. After all the above practice and study, you will have more sophisticated ideas for your core essay.