Essay Skills and Text Essay Structure
Hope explains about Essay Skills and Text Essay Structure.
Guide to Using Additional Material
60/40 split set text and related material
2 paragraphs per related text
- Link between set text and related material
- New idea related to Area of Study
Text Essay Structure: Block Method
- Each paragraph discusses one idea in one text only.
- Easiest type to write and the most logical.
- Six paragraphs on your set text, then two on your first additional material, and two on your second.
- Order the importance of your content.
- Time management
- balance sophistication and logic
Text Essay Structure: Integrated Block Method
- One idea in one text per paragraph
- Every second paragraph about one of your additional materials
- Link up topics
- Sophisticated connections
- Teachers pleased by integration
- Have to link paragraphs
Text Essay Structure: The Integrated Approach
- Sophisticated if written well
- Extremely difficult
- Leads to side-tracking and waffling
- Lack of detail
Text Essay Structure: The Skeleton Plan
First draft of any essay, including an outline of:
- Dot points
- Technique terms
One of the other topics the Board of Studies feels it is safe to thrust upon you is a consideration of what it is to be Australian. It is not as though your Area of Study will veer off into this tangent instead of focusing on the set theme, but that they may choose Australian comprehension texts or ask you to produce a feature article for Australian Youth magazine, or some such.